Friday, October 03, 2008

autumn closing in

This is Ruaraidh, his mum Sally is starting a new blog called Ruaraidhstails. Sally has been a great facilitator for Permaculture in Scotland, organising courses and keeping tabs on us all.

this is a 'gone to flower' red lettuce, it makes for an attractive plant but is now bitter to eat, I give them to Bella(the guinea pig) who is staying while my mum is on holiday.
how different this red sprout looks to
this one which is in a different bed....the caterpillers liked this one!1
my pumpkin harvest!
and the forlorn empty greenhouse!! it's still to get its good clean out and most of the pots/trays will be washed in the bath and then go into my attic till spring when they are used again.
I have just had soup made with homegrown veg, potatoes, onions, turnip, parsnip, carrots and leeks. so that was good!!


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your greenhouse is such a fabulous looking place -- did you do the floor and foundation yourself?

Here we've had lettuce going to seed as well, not saving it, but feeding the plants to the chooks. I like the way it looks when it goes to seed and suppose one day I ought to try my hand at saving the seed too!

Lucky guinea pig to be staying with you! :-)

clairesgarden said...

Wildside, the floor and founds were put together from recycled odds and ends and whatever I could find, the 'man across the road who does things' did the actuall putting together.
the guinea pig eat most of the gone to seed lettuce, she is away home now.

Anonymous said...

It looks great! Good job on the finds.

tlchang said...

I let my lettuce go to seed for my chickens as well. They will be sad when they've gone through it all (probably by the end of Oct). I'll have to get creative at that point...

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

Claire, your garden and green house always look so nice... even when all the plants are 'finished' and gone to seed. You sure put a lot of work into this area of your life.

Have a wonderful day.

Alice at I Was Born2Cree8

clairesgarden said...

Tara, a visiting guinea pig has now eaten all the lettuce, stalks, flowers and all!! yum she looked for more!
Alice, thankyou! if I didn't garden i might have to clean the house....

Rob said...

Hi Clare, for sure thats the best kind of soup, I had a big bowl full of that last night. Its great after a cold wet day outside. Bob.

clairesgarden said...

Bob, think there will lots of soup on this winter, looks like its going to be a cold one!