Tuesday, March 20, 2007

I've been out playing in the garden . . .

things are starting to happen in the greenhouse, planting seeds is an irresistable thing for me. the inside of the greenhouse is mild compared to the freezing winds outside.
onions and leeks moved out into the coldframe, they were seeded in January in the greenhouse.
chitted early potatoes, Red Duke of York, out into B&Q buckets, I drill holes for drainage. sure I bought a half dozen of them last year but like the pots and trays they don't come home when given away. . . the inside of the panes cut from 'bus shelter', quite clearly showing scratches and dents, hope it'll be ok. I am starting a penny jar to save for a new all plastic type greenhouse, the frame of this old one is not sturdy enough to cope with the plastic, I see on new ones the plastic is screwed directly onto the frame.
emerging in a pot in a corner, I am certain this is a tall kind of primula, unlabled!

9 comments:

Michael said...

What a fun new profile photo Claire, combining your two worlds of plants and water. Mind you I miss the pic of yourself as well... ;-)

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

Very nice, Claire. You have a great start on your plant growing. I planted some seeds in pots the other day... we'll see what happens. :o)

clairesgarden said...

Michael, I just thought the orkney one was getting a bit out of date,taken four years ago, cant decide on one to put on now.
Alice, I am a bit wary of using the greenhouse, re-glass, but like to start all my own things, Sandra has said I can use Billy's greenhouse if necessary but its not so easy when its not outside your own door, but people with allotments manage so I should be able to as well?

grannyfiddler said...

i haven't started a thing yet, because of the impending move May 1. so i'm enjoying your spring work vicariously. the new house has a lovely south facing glassed-in porch, which i hope will be bursting with new life this time next year.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Your away head of anyone I know around here personally.
I got some onions started and cotton. Yes, I said cotton!.

Bob said...

It looks like you mean being busy in the garden this year Claire. I still haven't got my seed potatoes, its the last time I order anything from Dobies. Bob.

clairesgarden said...

Grannyfiddler, the nights here are stil a bit chilly and the greenhouse is unheated so sometimes aI just cross my fingers and hope for the best.
Peppylady, thats an unusual plant! I wonder if it would grow here? might have to try. good luck with yours!
Bob, I got my potatoes from a local garden centre. luckily they always have plenty and a very god choice too, as they are so expensive to have posted, theres lots of 'trials' been done and chitting v no-chitting and they all say its not necessary, I do chit mine but we didn't do it on the market garden and they were always fab.

David (Snappy) said...

Claire, you have been busy.I have a few seed trays in the windowsill and i religeously check for signs of growth.At least you can shelter from the wind in your greenhouse.I love the Mystery primula.Lost labels used to drive me mad.

clairesgarden said...

David, I do often sit in the greenhouse with a cup of tea and a magazine, its my detached conservatory. . .