Wednesday, July 05, 2006

time

how much do I apreciate working part time? lots!
this week and next I am doing 35 hrs instead of my usual 25 as I am covering for holidays. how I miss the half days!
according to the gardening magazine Grow Your Own which arrived in the post this morning I should be organising my 'second sowing' for fresh vegetables into autumn. I keep trying to get organised with succesional sowing but don't really feel I have the hang of it, and I would dearly love to keep salad leaves going through the winter like Four Season Harvest.
I have been weeding and planting and moving and watering, but find the lack of extra time makes this seem a never ending task, and I do so like to sit and look at in my minds eye and drink tea. bah humbug! roll on my holiday!!
I am eating fresh salad every day (letucce, chard, spinach, sugar-snap peas, chives and shallots, some broad beans, some garden peas, small courgettes, cucumber) and have emptied out some more potatoes from their pots and compost bags. no ripe tomatoes yet.

5 comments:

Wildside Musing said...

Hi Claire, I recently received reminder that I should be planting my winter garden now -- however -- no space (not to mention organization -- as you do!)... I do always have good intentions though... Always! Promise.

Been having my July 4 meltdown... (Feeling shellshocked as ususal due other's gusto for the holiday; much more could be said on that story, but won't...as yet... Except last night a guest lost my very expensive paddle while he was borrowing my kayak to watch fireworks from the water vantage point... Oh darn it all... Can't afford to replace it...)! Now have survived the 4th; on to other things!

Unknown said...

Your harvesting sounds great Claire - and no ripe tomatoes here either.

I know what you mean about successional sowings - I have been doing so this year -then the drought came and none of them have come up! What a nuisance.

How come you got your Grow Your Own before me????

Now I am really feeling deprived

Enjoying your blog tremendously and love the before and after photos of your gardens,

Madcap said...

I think I'm going to have to try those sugar-snaps. I planted Lincolns this year, and while they're not bad, they're not exactly ... well, really good. My palate needs excitement! I've been planting lettuce every few weeks with pretty good success, apart from the horrendously hot weather we've been having for the past couple weeks. It all wants to bolt.

patsy said...

no ripe tomatoes here eather. but squash and cumcumbers I have plenty.

clairesgarden said...

Wildside, I have very little room left but hope to second crop some areas. thats rubbish about your paddle, they are so expensive to buy,is there any hope it may turn up at a lost property?
Allotment Lady, I am always very nice to the postman! sorry the lack of rain stopped your stuff growing, I'll try to rain dance it down your way, sheltering from a downpour here!!
Madcapmum, Sugar Snap Ann, eat the whole pod and sometimes get very fat ones which are extra yummy, I think this can be succesion sowed but have'nt tried it, it crops for a long time anyway. I have my third sowing of lettuce ready to plant out, which is better than I've managed before, but nothing much else.
Patsy, my zuchinni are not doing as well as they usually do, cucumbers are in a greenhouse. are your tomatoes growing outside there?